Why Are There Fleas In My Meridian Home?
January 5, 2022
You love your pets and will go out of your way to keep them happy. Cuddling up with them after a rough day at work is one of the simple pleasures in life. They are part of your family and you never want anything bad to happen to them, which is why when you noticed a flea crawling through their fur, it spurred you to take instant action. You don’t want these bugs negatively affecting your pet, not to mention spreading their diseases through your Meridian home. Learn how fleas can make their way into your home and how making use of a professional flea control company like Owyhee Environmental is the best way to get rid of fleas.
How To Spot A Flea Infestation In Your Meridian Home
Fleas are very small insects, averaging around 1/8 of an inch in length. Their body is very flat, allowing them to fit into very tight spaces. They are usually black in color, but can also be reddish-brown. Jumping is their specialty, as they do not have wings, and they can jump as high as 8 inches, which is roughly 150 times their own height. The most common species is the cat flea, which not only feasts on cats but will target dogs and even humans. They are parasites that feed on warm-blooded animals, which makes your pets a prime target for these pests. A female flea can lay over 2000 eggs in her lifetime, and once they infest your Meridian home, it is extremely difficult to get rid of them, as their eggs, larvae, and pupae can be located in cracks in floors or tightly attached to carpet fibers and furniture, making them hard to be vacuumed up.
All The Ways Fleas Get Into Meridian Homes
Fleas are often referred to as the freeloaders of the insect world. They can find their way into your Meridian home in a number of ways:
- Attaching themselves onto the fur of cats, dogs, or any other animal that gets into your home.
- Getting onto your clothes, especially on shoes or pants, while you are outside.
- Hiding in blankets and other objects that you bring inside with you.
- By using their jumping ability to spring into your home through an open door or window.
Any warm-blooded host will provide them with both the food and warmth they desire. Getting rid of them on your own can be quite the challenge, so seeking natural flea treatment from a professional pest control service is highly recommended.
How To Get Rid Of Fleas In Your Meridian Home
There are several different ways you can try to get rid of fleas on your own, including purchasing flea traps and sprays, but the best way to eliminate the problem entirely is by partnering with a professional flea control expert. At Owyhee Environmental, we will begin with an inspection of your property. We’ll look for signs of an active infestation, harborage areas, and conducive conditions. Because we value low-impact, long-term solutions, our service includes providing you with recommendations about how to take preventive measures against fleas. Our treatment involves using a backpack sprayer or fogger to create a barrier of protection around the perimeter of your yard. If fleas have gotten into your home, we also offer indoor treatments to eliminate them. Give us a call today to discuss our natural flea treatments and let us take care of your flea infestation once and for all.
Natural And Effective Flea Prevention Tips For Meridian Homes
At Owyhee Environmental, we want to help you prevent problems that will arise from a flea infestation, so here are some prevention tips to keep these blood-seeking pests from getting into your Meridian home:
- Make sure to use a flea preventive on your pets year-round to keep these pests off of them.
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free, making sure to vacuum regularly to pick up any stray fleas that do happen to find their way inside.
- Repair any holes on the exterior of your home to prevent any animals that are already infested with fleas from getting inside.
- Store trash and place bird feeders away from your home’s exterior to ensure that rodents and other wild animals that may have fleas aren’t attracted to your property.
Practicing these tips can go a long way towards preventing a flea problem, but if these pests do manage to be a nuisance to you and your family, Owyhee Environmental will be ready to take care of it for you.