The Ultimate Guide To Earwigs In Boise: Habits, Prevention And Control
September 5, 2023
Earwigs are small insects. You can recognize them by their elongated shape and pincer-like cerci at the end of their abdomen that they use for defense against predators and capturing prey. Despite what you may have heard, earwigs do not typically crawl into our ears, and most species are harmless scavengers that help control insect populations in the wild.
Still, if they enter our homes, problems can ensue. In this blog about earwig control in Boise, we will review their habits and behaviors, the issues they cause, and how to remove them for good by creating an uninviting environment and using professional pest control services when necessary. Owyhee Environmental has what you need for fast earwig removal if you are dealing with a persistent earwig invasion.
Insights Into Earwig Habits And Behaviors
Earwigs in Boise are fascinating insects. They are nocturnal creatures; they prefer to be active at night, seeking shelter during the day in dark places like rocks and logs or plants. But in our homes, any room is at risk of an infestation. These omnivores can eat plants and small insects, making them beneficial predators like spiders.
One incredible thing about earwigs is that they are very maternal. They are known to tend to their eggs and young nymphs, guarding and cleaning them until they are independent. Some even gather that help protect their offspring from predators.
They are adept at using their pincers to defend themselves against predators and capture prey, but they can also use them during courtship rituals. But while they play an essential ecological role by promoting a balanced ecosystem, they can cause many problems if they settle on our properties.
The Problems Caused By Earwigs
Earwigs are generally beneficial insects because they control other insect populations. Still, they can sometimes become nuisance pests.
Some of the issues caused by earwigs include:
- Garden damage: Earwigs often feed on plant foliage, and while this might not be an issue in forests, it will be a problem if they go through your flowers and ornamental plants.
- Home invasion: During certain seasons, these unwanted guests may enter your property in search of shelter, especially if you can offer them damp and dark areas. You might end up with a full-blown infestation if you don't address it early.
- Damage to seedlings: Do you enjoy growing your garden from seeds? Earwig nymphs can be particularly destructive to young seedlings indoors and outdoors.
One of the best strategies to manage earwig infestations is to create an uninviting environment for these undesirable pests.
Creating An Uninviting Environment For Earwigs
If you have earwigs in your home, the following strategies can help keep them at bay:
- Remove hiding spots: Regularly clear debris like rocks and logs from your yard. They provide ideal hiding places for earwigs during the day. Raise garden beds to discourage them from accessing your plants.
- Ensure proper irrigation: Avoid overwatering plants and ensure good drainage, as earwigs love moist environments. Consider using drip irrigation instead of overhead watering.
- Learn about mulch management: Using gravel instead of organic mulch is a common strategy to deter earwigs. If using organic mulch, keep it well-maintained and without thick, damp layers.
- Seal entry points: Check and repair cracks in your home to prevent earwigs from invading.
- Keep your yard healthy: A healthy property will encourage natural predators that feed on earwigs to inhabit your garden.
While these measures are known to be effective, sometimes they're not enough. Read on to learn how to eliminate earwigs from your property for good.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Earwigs
Our professional home pest control services can efficiently eliminate infestations, and during your consultation with an Owyhee Environmental expert, we will show you how. With thorough inspections, habitat modification, and more, we can rid your property of these destructive pests throughout the seasons. Our comprehensive approach delivers effective and long-lasting results you can rely on.
Owyhee Environmental is Boise's preferred pest control provider. Call us today to schedule your initial inspection and learn about our strategies.