How To Keep Rodents Away From Your Boise Property
February 10, 2022
Rodents can be nightmare pests to deal with once they move into your Boise property due to their prolific nature and skill at hiding in hard-to-reach areas. Our article will tell you how to get rid of rodents in your house or business so you can be prepared to combat these pests.
Rodents Commonly Found On Boise Properties
There are a couple of different types of rodents that are common on Boise properties. These include Norway rats, roof rats, and house mice. You can use the traits below to distinguish between these types of rodents.
- Norway rats have brownish to grey fur and are larger but have smaller tails than roof rats. They prefer to live underground or in basements and crawl spaces.
- Roof rats have black fur and pale underbellies. They generally prefer high-up areas and attics.
- House mice are small rodents with brownish to grey fur, broad feet, large ears, and whiskers.
It is important to note that you generally won't have an infestation of multiple different types of rodents at the same time – you will have either mice or one kind of rat at a time. The professionals at Owyhee Environmental can help you distinguish between these types of rodents and find the culprits of your infestation.
The Dangers And Damages Of Rodents On Your Boise Property
All rodents carry with them a significant number of diseases and can create a large amount of damage to your Boise property. All rodents have to constantly chew to wear down their teeth. They can gnaw through virtually any material; this means furniture, walls, food storage areas, electrical wiring, and plumbing will not be safe until you eradicate your rodent infestation.
Additionally, the diseases that rodents carry, such as hantavirus, tularemia, and salmonella, can be contracted through contact with the rodent, their droppings, or contaminated food. All rodents also carry parasites like fleas and ticks that present their own health risks and can start another infestation.
How To Safely Get Rid Of Rodents On Your Boise Property
If you want to know how to get rid of rodents in your house or your business, you should contact the professionals at Owyhee Environmental. Our experts will be able to deal with rodents directly and in a safe manner that won't leave you exposed to the diseases that these pests carry. Professional treatment is also often more effective and less stressful than DIY rodent removal, so contact Owyhee Environmental today for more advice and assistance.
Effective Rodent Prevention Tips For Boise Properties
To properly protect your property and get rid of rodents that may be thinking of invading, you can follow the prevention tips below to rodent-proof your property.
- Always seal up leftover food promptly and store food in airtight containers. Never leave out dirty dishes or food and drink spills, as these are major rodent attractants. You should also tightly seal trash and throw waste away as soon as possible.
- Keep your yard clear of debris, especially woodpiles and fallen fruit. The fruit will attract rodents looking for food, and woodpiles make easy hiding places. Also, keep the grass trimmed low to make your yard less favorable.
- Address any moisture issues around your property – pools of water are big attractants for rodents. Make sure there are no indoor or outdoor leaks and that your yard has plenty of drainage.
- Declutter your home often and throw out stacks of cardboard, clothing, and other unused items to reduce indoor rodent hiding spots.